Good news! Jack Whelan presented the Guided Visualization to the Reflections Unit. There was some confusion about the group today, but the unit rallied and gathered together. All of the residents attended as well as two volunteers who work with Parmenter. He guided them through an exercise leaving them feeling loved and at ease and at peace.
Board | Town Square Parmenter Celebrates Wear Red for Women’s Heart Health
Posted by Anne FitzPatrick-Neu , February 10, 2014 at 01:00 PM
Parmenter Home Health and Hospice is Gorgeous in Red
Parmenter wore Red to show our passionate support for Women’s Heart Health and the American Heart Association’s Wear Red Day, the first Friday of every February! Since the first National Wear Red Day in 2003, tremendous strides have been made in the fight against heart disease in women. The AHA reports that since the 2003 kick-off, 34% fewer women now die from heart disease. Parmenter is donating money to the Heart Association on behalf of all employees who wore red! Parmenter Home Health and Hospice continues to be your local nonprofit provider of community health care: home care, bridge program, hospice care, and hospice residence. Let us know other ways we can help!
Parmenter is wearing red to show support for women’s heart health. Join us on National Wear Red Day, Friday, February 7. Support your sisters wives and daughters!
Parmenter Home Care and Hospice staff is excited about their 2014 New Year’s goal to stay healthy! We are kicking off with an eating healthy plan. Call Parmenter at 508-358-3000, ext. 252 or go to firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more. Remember to check with your doctor about dieting.We will be updating this blog weekly
Get Back on Track in the New Year and Eat Healthy
Why is Healthy Weight Important?
• Good for your overall health
• Prevents and controls many diseases (diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, cancer)
• Feel better and have more energy
Weight is a Balance of Energy
• Same amount of energy IN (calories) and energy OUT (burned through physical activity) =weight stays the same
• More IN than OUT over time = weight gain
• More OUT than IN over time = weight loss
How to Make Healthy Choices and Lose Weight
• Eat fewer calories and increase physical activity
• Make healthy food choices
• Cut back on saturated fats and sugars
• Pay attention to portion size
Eating Fewer Calories- A Healthy Eating Plan
• Reducing fat consumption (1 gram of fat=9
calories, 1 gram of protein=4 calories)
• Just because a food is “fat free” doesn’t mean it’s calories free- read labels!!!
• Weight loss of 1-2 lbs per week = daily intake should be reduced by 500-1000 calories
• Eating plan for women for safe weight loss 1,000-1,200 calories per day
• Eating plan for safe weight loss in men is 1,200-
1,600 calories per day
• If weight loss isn’t happening on a certain calorie diet might want to decrease calories by 500 per day
• If you are hungry on a diet increase diet by 100-
200 calories per day
• Low calorie diets under 1,000 calories per day are not recommended
• All diets should be discussed with your physician to make sure they are right for you
• “Aim for a Health Weight” July 2009; National Institute of Health
• “Identification, Evaluation, and Treatment of Overweight and Obesity in Adults” July 2002; National Institute of Health Obesity Education Initiative
• “Keep and Eye on Portion Size” http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/heart/ obesity/wecan/portion/oei_ss/PD1/slide1.htm
The Parmenter Food Pantry has been part of the Wayland community for nearly 60 years, since the creation of Parmenter Community Health. Initially the focus was on providing a special holiday meal to families in need until about 30 years ago when it was recognized that families need help with basic food items throughout the year. The Parmenter Food Pantry is a volunteer based organization that distributes grocery items to over 80 families in Wayland monthly, including 45 residents under the age of 18. There is great wealth in Wayland as well as many families who struggle to put food on their table. America is the land of plenty. But for 1 in 6 people in the United States, hunger is a reality. Many people believe that the problems associated with hunger are confined to small pockets of society, certain areas of the country, or certain neighborhoods, but the reality is much different. Right now, millions of Americans are struggling with hunger. These are often hard-working adults, children and seniors who simply cannot make ends meet and are forced to go without food for several meals, or even days.
For the past 14 years, Laurie Hojlo, Wayland resident and member of the Parmenter Board of Trustees, has managed the Food Pantry. She has a great group of volunteers who help make it all happen. Volunteers pick-up groceries at numerous locations around town, organize the shelves in the pantry, pick-up perishable items, bag groceries on pick-up day, and help deliver to shut-ins. Special food collections are often done through the town, in schools, churches and other local events. The Parmenter Food Pantry needs your help now with cash donations and non-perishable food supplies. Our funds are low. Cash donations are used to purchase fresh meats, fruits and vegetables, juice, bread and other items that are in short supply. Please consider making a donation to the pantry. Checks may be sent to Parmenter Community Health Care, 266 Cochituate Road, Wayland MA 017778 or visit our website http://www.parmenter.org/donate. If you need supplementary food for your family, or know someone who does, please call 508-358-300 or Laurie Hojlo at 508-358-0028.
The pantry shelves are in need of replenishment at this time. Non-perishable donations are welcome and may be dropped off at the main office Monday through Friday between 8:00am and 5:00pm or at one of the Local Community Donation sites:
• Stop & Shop 400 Boston Post Road
• Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage 311 Boston Post Road
• Middlesex Savings Bank 150 Commonwealth Road
• Sovereign Bank 326 Boston Post Road
• The Village Bank 62 Boston Post Road
• Whole Foods Market 317 Boston Post Road
Vote for the Parmenter Food Pantry. The Wayland Branch of Sovereign Bank is hosting a charity competition for the next month or so. The Parmenter Food Pantry is one of three charities selected. Please stop by The Bank, thank them for their support of local charities and place your vote. The charity with the most votes will receive a check from the bank. Help us provide food support to struggling Wayland households!